Mini Rugby Tournament - 15 March 2015
Another successful Accies/BATs Minis Tournament was held at New Field on Sunday 15 March. Eleven clubs in all were represented with 560 children taking part in a great festival atmosphere. Even the weather was helpful: dry if a bit on the chilly side.
Stew-Mel Lions triumphed in all the age groups (including P7 where they shared the honours with Heriot’s), showing some excellent rugby skills. BATs were the runners-up at P6 while the Accies Minis were narrowly defeated 9-8 in the P5 final. The tournament clearly showed that youth rugby in Scotland is very much alive with plenty of talent coming through the younger age groups.
Thanks to the generous sponsorship of Simpson & Marwick, record programme advertising and a roaring trade in the tuck shop the tournament was financially successful with a healthy profit to show for all the hard work put in by so many.
I would like to thank everyone who contributed in any way. The tournament could not happen without your help. However, I would especially like to highlight the efforts of:
- John Carnegie and his organising committee who were responsible for the overall organisation of the tournament
- Our volunteer referees, Mr Calder and Mr MacDonald from Edinburgh Academy, and the players from the Accies 1st XV
- George Sutherland and the Edinburgh Academy grounds team
- The players from Edinburgh Rugby who awarded the medals and trophies
- Our scorers, Niall Ballantyne and Mike Larkin, and the volunteers who kept time and scores for the matches
- The volunteers in the tuck shop and those who provided the home baking
- The Duke of Edinburgh Award boys who assisted with programme sales
Last, but by no means least, a heartfelt thanks to all the parents and players from all the other clubs who attended the tournament. Without you, there would be no tournament. Thank you for coming along and supporting the event.
Posted on Thursday, 19 March 2015 under Club News BATs Mini Rugby