Another Successful Minis' Tournament
Another successful Accies/BATs Minis Tournament was held at New Field on Sunday 6 March. Twelve clubs in all were represented, with 560 children taking part in a great festival atmosphere. Even the weather was helpful: dry if a bit on the chilly side.
Stew-Mel Lions triumphed in both P4 (on a try count) and P5, while Kinross were successful in P6 and North Berwick won P7. All the winners showed some excellent rugby skills. BATs were the runners-up at P7 while the Accies Minis were runners up in P5. The tournament clearly showed that youth rugby in Scotland is very much alive, with plenty of talent coming through the younger age groups.
Thanks to the generous sponsorship of Investec Wealth & Investment, Edinburgh Self Storage, record programme advertising and a roaring trade in the tuck shop, the tournament was financially successful with a healthy profit to show for all the hard work put in by so many.
The mini rugby committee would like to thank everyone who contributed in any way. The tournament could not happen without your help. However, we would especially like to highlight the efforts of:
- Simon Hodgson and his organising committee who were responsible for the overall organisation of the tournament
- Our volunteer referees, Mr Calder from Edinburgh Academy and the minis coaches from the participating clubs
- George Sutherland and the Edinburgh Academy grounds team
- Former Scotland international Duncan Hodge and Simon Fraser from Investec Wealth who awarded the medals and trophies
- Our official scorers, Richard Parks and Trevor Marpara, our pitch side volunteers who kept time and scores for the matches, and the volunteers who assisted with programme sales
- The volunteers in the tuck shop and those who provided the sandwiches and home baking
Last, but by no means least, a heartfelt thanks to all the parents and players from all the other clubs who attended the tournament. Without you, there would be no tournament. Thank you for coming along and supporting the event.
Posted on Thursday, 10 March 2016 under Club News BATs Mini Rugby