Match Report NL6: Accies v Stew Mel

Accies 42-18 Stewl Mel - Phew!

This game did not go as many expected - perhaps that was the problem! - although the result, 42-18, looks good in the record book.

After going ahead 3-0 with a penalty after 13 minutes, we were behind by 12 points after 30 minutes, down by seven points at half time, level after five minutes of the second half and three points ahead with just seven minutes of the game left. Then we scored three converted tries. Overall, on review, the pattern of scoring reflected the balance of the play.

There were changes to our team from the one that won the previous week. Matthew Coupar was back after missing two games; Lawrie Seydak started his first game as a tight head prop; 18-year-old second row Dean Roger started his first game; and Jamie Winks came in for Greg Campbell, who was being rested.

We had three players on the bench making their League debuts for the Club: prop Dan Falkner, who played in the Edinburgh Academy Cup winning XV four years ago before going to the States to do his degree; winger Neil Harrison; and wing/centre Ollie Mottram.

The game started with both sides throwing the ball about and making mistakes, turning the ball over to the other side. Stew Mel missed an early penalty but Andrew Bell was spot on after 13 minutes to put us in the lead: 3-0.

From the restart we ran the ball and maintained possession, though playing side-to-side and not making much ground. Stew Mel did not touch the ball until they charged down a clearing kick and won the race to touch down: 3-5, 16 minutes gone.

Seven minutes later Stew Mel went further ahead with a converted penalty. Five minutes after that Jamie Winks was yellow carded for what looked a perfectly fair tackle, though the assistant referee was adamant it was a tip tackle. Stew Mel took full advantage of the extra man. From the penalty, which was kicked to touch, they put us under pressure for a couple of minutes until they found a gap out on the left and went over. With the conversion the score was now 3-15 with 30 minutes gone.

That try obviously fired us up and for the next period of play we were in the ascendancy. With Winks back on the pitch and Stew Mel being penalised 10 metres out from their line, we went for touch. Winks caught the ball from the lineout and the pack pushed them back at a good rate of knots for Clement Lacour to score - his fourth try in as many games - to make the score 8-15 at half time.

We started the second half well. A couple of penalties helped us to keep play in their half, then a sublime inside pass from Bell to Callum Black triggered our second try. Black made ground to the 22, passed to Tom Drennan, who made his way to the posts before a quick recycling of the ball to Shaun Gunn, who gave the ball to Sam Gibson to score. Bell converted: 15 all after five minutes.

We were now having the better game and our scrum was in the ascendancy. This was rewarded with two penalties, after 18 and 21 minutes, both converted by Bell, though Stew Mel pulled three points back with a penalty after 24 minutes: 21-18.

Our improvement continued and, after a flowing movement that started in our half and involved most of the team, Neill Aitken made 20 metres to the posts, moved the ball to the left and a well timed pass from Ben Appleson to Matt Coupar put him in. Bell converted: 28-18 and seven minutes to go.

From the kick off we worked our way back up the field and 20 metres out on the right, captain Jamie Sole took quick ball from a ruck and went through a couple of tackles to score the bonus point try. Bell converted again: 35-18.

From the restart, Stew Mel regained the ball and we were penalised. There was no time for a lineout so they ran the ball and threw a long pass to their winger that was intercepted by a grateful Coupar, who galloped from his own 22 to score under the posts. Bell added the final points.

So, in the end, a comfortable 42-18 win, with a few ‘heart-stopping’ moments in the first 35 minutes.

Man of the Match was Lawrie Seydak who, as mentioned earlier, played his very FIRST game as a tight head prop, although he finished the game in his usual place in the back row. He had a competent start to his front row career and continued breaking through first and second tackles to make good ground whenever he carried, which was frequently.

Finally, a word for our prop, Clement Lacour, top try scorer so far this season, with five in Cup and League this season (not to forget one more in pre-season), including tries in the last four League games. Some might say he was ’seagulling’ and not doing his job as a prop. Clem would say he was just in the right place at the right time! Personally, I quite like another French sportsman, Eric Cantona's use of the word seagull: “When seagulls follow the trawler it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.” Replace ‘trawler’ with ‘maul’ and ‘sardines’ with ‘ball’ and Clem’s not far off. Don’t worry Clem, I am just jealous - well done and keep it up!

Tries: Lacour; Gibson; Coupar (2); Sole.
Conversions: Bell (4)
Penalties: Bell (3)

Video clips:
Accies’ tries
Accies’ highlights

Heriot's 3rd XV 27-45 Accies Dev XV

Our Development XV also had a north Edinburgh derby on Saturday, away to Heriot's 3rds at Nailacre. They came away with a satisfying victory, making it two derby successes in one afternoon for the Club.


Posted on Monday, 10 October 2016 under Match Reports Club News