Tuesday 18 December 2012

Accies win 30-20

Last night at Myreside Accies defeated Watsonians 30-20, in an entertaining RBS Edinburgh Regional Cup tie, which ended Watsonians long 14 match unbeaten run.

With a Premiership game against Melrose this coming weekend, Accies were eager to get a game under their belts after missing the last three Saturdays through unfit pitches.

The game started at a good pace, in good conditions, and Accies took the lead after five minutes through a penalty by centre Ruairidh Bonner. This was quickly cancelled out by a penalty for Watsonians by scrum-half Brian Walls.

Seven minutes later Watsonians stand-off Mike Ker was yellow carded and Accies certainly made the extra man count, with Watsonians hardly touching the ball in that 10 minutes, during which Accies scored three tries, with two conversions.

The first came after good driving work by Accies forwards, ending with Duncan Morrison going over. Within a couple of minutes winger Nyle Godsmark crossed, and not to be out done, two minutes later, Accies other winger Matt Coupar ran in another to put Accies in the lead 22-3.

Watsonians’ battled on, and scored a converted try through full-back Rory Steele just before an Accies penalty attempt struck the post.

Accies were not finished, and second row, Andrew Findlater, took a great line to break through the Watsonians defence 20 meters out to score Accies fourth and bonus point try. A penalty by Ruairidh Bonner finished the half with Accies comfortably ahead 30-10.

As the second half started the monsoon arrived, completely changing the conditions. Both sides started to use their benches - with last year's Edinburgh Academy and Scotland U18 back row Cameron Simpson making his Accies 1XV debut.

The first points of the half came in the 56th minute with a Walls penalty. Both teams were making more mistakes as the conditions got worse and with five minutes to go Watsonians replacement back-row Tommy Palacios scored a converted try to make the final score 30-20.

Accies’ dominant first-half saw them home, ending Watsonians long 14 match unbeaten run, in a useful run-out for both teams.


From the Archive