Thursday 12 December 2013

Match Report - 7 december

London Welsh 73-10 Accies

London Welsh marked their first Pro game at Old Deer Park for 19 months with a comprehensive victory over us on Saturday.

The win also got them up and running after defeats to London Scottish and Pontypridd, though with Ponty defeating Scottish, Ponty remain in pole position to progress to the quarter-finals of the B&I Cup.

We turned up to Old Deer Park with three Edinburgh Rugby forwards and Alex Toolis returning after a 'loan down south' - not to be out done Welsh announced that their two new signings that week - a hooker direct from Auckland and a 6'11'', 20st second row from Exeter - were both to be in their starting XV.

The fully pro Welsh came at us hard and through the game scored 10 tries, every one converted by Gordon Ross's understudy, Will Robinson, whether on the touch line or not.

We did not give up all game, and stuck gamely to our task - though we lost Toolis after 16 minutes with a back injury to be replaced by 19 year-old Ronan Seydak who had a good game.

Our line out and scrum held up under a big size and weight difference and both our forwards and backs kept tackling and working all game.

We did finish the half strongly. Turning down the chance for an easy three points, we kicked to the corner, won the line-out, from which Welsh collapsed the drive. With a penalty advantage being played, Alex Black moved the ball to debutant Iain Chisholm, who sent Farndale through a gap for a nicely worked try under the posts. Black converted to make the half time score 10-38.

Eight minutes into the second half we lost prop Phil Cringle to a yellow card, for what looked like a slip - difficult to understand when at the next scrum the same thing happened but the Welsh were just penalised. We gave away 14 points during that 10 minutes.

Overall Welsh five tries in each half, and with an early penalty that made the final score 10-73.

All our 22 players got a run out in the end, including 19 year-old Declan Dinnen, who made his first, senior 1XV, start of his short rugby career.


From the Archive