Wednesday 31 August 2016

Match Report, BT Cup R1: Accies v Hamilton

Season Opening Try Fest
Accies 68-15 Hamilton

After three pre-season hit outs we found ourselves unusually starting our season with a first round BT National Cup game. Our opponents, Hamilton, are newly promoted to National 1 so this gave us an early chance to ‘size them up’. Our squad contained five players making their debuts for the Club: Robbie and Sam Chalmers, Andrew Bell, Sam Gibson and Shaun Gunn.

It was an ideal day for rugby and Hamilton kicked off towards the pond. In the early part of the game we were playing a good style of rugby, mainly in Hamilton’s half. After nine minutes Sam Chalmers made a half break, passed to Neil Armstrong, onto Robbie Chalmers, who gave Josh Pecqueur a scoring pass. Andrew Bell converted: 7-0.

Hamilton quickly replied - from the kick off we knocked on and Hamilton moved to our 22 from the scrum, where we gave away a penalty: 7-3. There followed a phase of scrappy play, with both teams making too many mistakes. We then worked our way down field and Hamilton were penalised 10 metres from their line. We went for touch, won the lineout and, following a driving maul, Clem Lacour scored. Bell converted again taking the score to 14-3 after 20 minutes.

From the kick off we won the ball and took play deep into the Hamilton half. Another penalty and kick to corner resulted in an obstruction and Hamilton kicked to our half way from the scrum. Greg Campbell then picked up the ball from a ruck, made 25 metres and popped the ball over a Hamilton player to Tom Drennan, who scored: with 25 minutes gone, 19-3.

Almost immediately after the restart Max Love took the ball from a breakdown and passed to James Pearce on the half way line. Pearse made 20 metres then moved the ball to Matt Coupar, who ran in under the posts. Bell converted: 26-3.

From the next restart we took play into Hamilton’s 22 but gave away a penalty. From the following lineout Hamilton moved the ball down their line and, through a missed tackle and sloppy marking, their full back covered 50 metres to score: 26-8.

We struck back immediately. Jamie Sole won the restart and, after half a dozen passes, he got the ball back and ran 25 metres to score. Bell converted and, with no more scoring before the break, the first half ended 33-8.

We started the second half at a better pace, with Jamie Winks, a replacement at half time, making good ground to allow Bell to score under the posts in the opening minute. Bell then converted his own try: 40-8.

It was all Accies now, with the play all in Hamilton’s 22. Three minutes after the restart, following an audacious dummy, Love made a diagonal run from by the touchline on the 22 to score untouched under the posts. Bell added to his tally: 47-8.

Hamilton had not given up and they now came back into the game. After we repelled a number of drives to the line, Hamilton finally drove the ball over in the corner from a lineout. The try was converted to make the score 47-15 with 50 minutes gone.

From the kick off we intercepted a pass and, after half a dozen passes, replacement Callum Ramm scored having only been on the field for a minute. Bell converted again: 54-15.

With replacements coming on and off regularly for both teams, play broke up a bit and for the next 20 minutes there was no scoring, although we had most of the game. Deadlock was broken when Hamilton lost the ball in a tackle, it was passed to Coupar who ran through six Hamilton players and then, when over the line, gave the ball to Drennan to score. Another conversion from Bell: 61-15.

We won the ball from the restart again, moved it wide and Ramm, finding himself in a four-on-two situation, stepped inside to score. Bell kicked his ninth conversion: 68-15 with 7 minutes to go.

With no more scoring the final score was 68-15. It was a competent performance by a squad playing together for the first time, with some good touches here and there.

Man of the Match was fly half Andrew Bell. He ran the game well and scored one try and 9 from 10 conversions - not a bad start at the Club, although all the squad contributed to the win. Overall, a good start to the competitive season.

However, the next three weeks will really show us how we stand, with Marr, who gave us two very hard games last season, first up at home, followed by Jed away and Musselburgh at home. We lost all but one of the six games against those three clubs last season, which accounted for more than 60% of the games we lost. Now is out chance to put things right - onwards and upwards!

Tries: Pecqueur; Lacour; Drennan (2); Coupar; Sole; Bell; Love; Ramm (2).
Conversions: Bell (9).

Video Highlights

If you missed the game, or just want to relive the moment, you can now watch our tries by following these links:

First half tries:

Second half tries:

Great Lawrie Seydak break:


From the Archive