Thursday 18 December 2014

Match report, Premiership 13: Heriot's v Accies

Heriot's 32-20 Accies

We gave Heriot’s a fright in a frantic first half that saw the lead change hands six times as we ran in three tries before having the game taken away from us in the second half.

Scores came thick and fast over the first 40 minutes. Heriot’s went ahead from a penalty by Graham Wilson after six minutes. We responded with a try by Sam Pecqueur two minutes later after the ball went wide following Jamie Sole and Ronan Seydak getting into the danger area.

15 minutes later another penalty by Wilson put Heriot’s back in the lead: 5-6. Again within two minutes Pecqueur repeated the formula, getting his second, after Chris Dean crashed over the gain-line and provided the perfect pass making the score 10-6 to us.

Then, after 35 minutes, Heriot’s were lucky to add a try when we overthrew a lineout well in our own 22 and it dropped kindly into the arms of Jonathan Armstrong, who was able to go over virtually unopposed. With Wilson’s conversion the score was 10-13.

We immediately made amends from a lineout inside the Heriot’s 22, setting up an unstoppable maul with Seydak carrying over and putting us back into the lead: 15-13.

With seconds left in the half the ball flashed through the hands of the Heriot’s backs to reach Harry Boisseau on the left wing who had enough space to squeeze through for the touchdown. Wilson’s conversion from the touchline made the half time score 15-20.

We had an early chance to get back into the game soon after the restart but we did not capitalise on it. Instead, with 20 minutes gone, it was Heriot’s who got the try at the conclusion of a series of fiercely contested lineouts and mauls that saw David McGregor get the score: 15-25.

With Heriot’s ten points ahead, we made a hash of a penalty in front of the posts and suddenly Heriot’s were at the other end of the pitch, though we held them up over the line. With 35 minutes gone Glen Bryce went over for a converted try, to make the score 15-32.

We picked up our game and after a period of pressure we scored our fourth try when replacement hooker Michael Liness was driven over to grab a consolation bonus point and make the final score 20-32.


From the Archive